Finished "Creative Directions" by @ThatSperling this week and thought maybe I'd share some of my favourite moments. This book is chock full of insights, first-hand knowledge, anecdotes and perspectives from and for creative working people.View More
Hello, I’m Brandon.
If the human is a question mark, design is the way that question is engaged.
From Are We Human? Notes on an Archaeology of Design by Beatriz Colomina and Mark Wigley
I'm a data-driven designer, educator and lifelong learner based in D.C. I'm fascinated by the ways we can apply technology to solve complex problems and I lead teams that build things people love to use.
My progression from the early days of the web to this "golden age" of design has given me the experience to lead dynamic and multidisciplinary teams through complex challenges.
Lead teams to do great work. Blend and balance user needs with business requirements. Create a diverse and inclusive workplace. Advocate and agitate for innovation. Champion work-life balance. Grow the prestige and respect of the role of design to effect meaningful change.
Looking after the talented people that comprise the UX team at Taoti Creative, enabling them to unite their skillsets and act on insights that lead to innovative and effective design that moves the needle and delivers value to our clients.
Ready to guide teams and influence individuals to face and embrace the challenges of constant change
Trust your team and earn their trust in return. Easier said than done. It requires a commitment to respecting and understanding–in a word, empathy. Most people are already motivated by an innate desire to come together and do great work. I am people-centred and it's my responsibility to amplify the ideas and output of my team, creating the long-term conditions for us all to achieve our common goal.
Engaged at the surface level to build strong bonds and inspire the next generation of young designers
Activating and retaining talented people carries an obligation to work with them on a long-term project of personal growth. Open communication and collaboration are essential to building trust that promotes not only individual development but also increases the performance of the entire team. Shifting business imperatives and career progression can create the need for a sense of direction. As a mentor, I make it a top priority to find time and make space to connect with colleagues, identify where they need to go and help guide them to their next milestone.
Committed to practices that drive sustainable business, unlock collaborative potential and foster cohesive culture
As we work towards the necessary and critical near term goals that define business cycles, we also need to plan, act and build with a longer vision. Doing the work of continual improvement, on ourselves as well as on our outcomes, ensures that we're creating a culture that balances the needs of individuals with the complex behaviours of teams. Establishing and reinforcing an inclusive, collaborative work environment leads to individual investment and a sense of ownership at all levels that benefits an entire organization.
Looking after (and growing) an innovative, lean and effective UX team that delivers value to our clients
Director of User Experience (UX) at Taoti Creative Washington, D.C. 2023 – Present
- Leading the user-centered design process that drives web, social, experiential and technical projects.
- Hiring and retaining talent that produces best-in-class work and ensures exceptional client experience.
- Attracting fresh work and growing our client roster through new service offerings.
Founded and led the Global Product and Creative teams to discover and design innovative services, products and channels that help travelers find the good out there
Associate Director of Product Design at Tripadvisor Singapore 2020 – 2023
- Led design efforts for global CRM and developing new products in APAC.
- Founded the Global Product Innovation Team in Singapore and built capacity to service multiple core product and new business challenges simultaneously.
- Delivered global customer insights and leading teams that design, build and ship products in developing markets.
Led and grew the APAC UX team through a challenging and demanding growth period
User Experience Lead at Huge Brooklyn, NY and Singapore 2013 – 2020
- Relocated to found the Singapore office and lead Huge's user-centered approach to design in APAC.
- Collaborated across timezones with clients, project teams, freelancers and regional vendors to conduct ethnographic research, create high-fidelity prototypes, and facilitate co-design workshops.
- Evangelized for design education, office culture building and mentoring.
- Took leadership of experience design responsibilities for multiple client relationships and new business efforts in the Brooklyn office.
VP of Creative Design
Horangi Cyber Security in Singapore 2016 – 2018
- Led the user-centered product design team from foundation through two rounds of funding.
- Designed and managed the global company identity, brand collateral and visual marketing.
- Hired and mentored the first generation of designers and set the standard for design operations.
- Created the initial product MVP and led regional co-design workshops and research efforts in Singapore, Malaysia and Indonesia to inform the creation of Horangi’s Warden platform.
Director of Experience Design
Weber Shandwick & Powell Tate in Washington, D.C. 2012 – 2013
- Led the newly formed digital team as a user-centered researcher, interaction designer and technology strategist.
- Took leadership to define the role as a mix of creative direction, thought leadership, narrative framing, content marketing and technical advising.
- Managed teams of freelance designers and engineers to produce campaign creative materials and interactive websites.
User Experience Instructor
General Assembly in Singapore 2015 – 2022
- Authored and facilitated full-day bootcamp workshops focused on the user-centered design process, research methods and design for wearables and augmented reality.
- Hosted events that allowed students to network and learn alongside working professionals.
UX Designer & Engineer
Free Range Studios in Washington, D.C. 2007 – 2012
- Designed and developed user-centered tools, platforms and websites.
- Created identity and communications collateral for progressive brands and nonprofits.
- Took leadership to define the User Experience role and standards for development and hiring.
Web & Interactive Designer
Hirshorn Zuckerman Design Group in Washington, D.C. 2005 – 2007
- Concepted and designed richly interactive web sites and produced multimedia and animation.
- Advised the marketing team on creative and technology direction for projects in the real estate, entertainment, sports and lifestyle sectors.
Web & Creative Designer
WebFirst in Washington, D.C. 2004 - 2005
- Designed mission critical applications and collaboration software for govt and non-profit clients.
- Led the creation of company identity and marketing materials
- Developed training materials to transition clients to the use of content management systems.
Designing for humans
More than a decade of solid user-centered research, testing and interaction design.
Teaching at GA
Curriculum author of popular and relevant monthly Bootcamp courses for General Assembly.
Making & Critiquing
Staying sharp with side projects and speaking at conferences such as SXSW and WebVisions.
Be Valued. Be Valuable.
An easy enough concept but one that causes critical reflection and inspires new energy upon each reconsideration. To be valued, we must trust yet be vigilant of those we surround ourselves with and work for. To be valuable, we have to accept that those same people want and need things from us and that we are obligated to do our best in service to them.
The curious dance we do within those reciprocal roles very much defines us as human beings. To that end, I've dedicated my attention and work efforts to detecting and designing solutions to real human concerns, promoting user-centric technology and fostering conditions that contribute to a more inclusive future.
I’m currently leading the User Experience team at Taoti in Washington, D.C.
As Director of UX Design I'm looking after (and growing) an innovative, lean and effective team that delivers value to our clients. Get in touch with me to discuss speaking engagements and other professional opportunities.
My full work history is available on LinkedIn at btiny.link/linkedinDownload CV